The Peyton Anderson Foundation is dedicated to supporting the economic development of Central Georgia through opportunities that strengthen community vitality, engage residents and encourage philanthropy. Peyton Anderson deeply loved Macon and was a staunch believer in its ability to thrive. He firmly believed in buying local so the region prospered and provided a high quality of life which attracted business and retained residents. Much of the success and resurgence of Downtown Macon and the development of the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail can be attributed to the Peyton Anderson Foundation.
In 1996, the Foundation enabled a group of visionary corporate and civic leaders to establish a non-profit, public-private partnership called NewTown Macon. NewTown’s leadership, planning and support have leveraged more than $600 million to improve Downtown Macon and increase its opportunities for new businesses and residents. The Foundation is steadfast in its dedication to reclaim and reinvent Downtown Macon as the vibrant urban hub of Central Georgia. A recent signature of this dedication is the Downtown Challenge, a creative grant program funding community-driven ideas to transform Downtown Macon. The Downtown Challenge is co-funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and is administered by the Community Foundation of Central Georgia, another initiative established by the Peyton Anderson Foundation to encourage philanthropy and strengthen communities in our region.
- Projects that improve and enhance the quality of life and the economic well-being of Central Georgia.
- Projects that attract and retain residents and local businesses.
- Grants that make a significant economic impact on Macon-Bibb.
- Ideas that generate tourism revenue.
- Projects that increase community engagement.
- Projects that encourage philanthropy and volunteerism.
- Ideas that leverage large-scale community improvement.
- Organizations which collaborate.
We Typically Do Not Fund:
- Event Sponsorships
- For-profit Businesses
- General Operations
- Statewide Initiatives
- ABC Nurturing Center
- Altamaha Riverkeeper
- Bibb County Board of Commissioners
- Bibb County Sherriff’s Office
- Center for Racial Understanding
- Community Foundation of Central Georgia
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service
- Federated Garden Clubs of Macon
- Field of Hope, Inc.
- Georgia Cities Foundation
- Georgia For Passenger Rail
- Georgia Legal Services Program
- Georgia Research Alliance
- Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia
- Grace Shearon Memorial Foundation
- Greater Macon Chamber of Commerce
- Humane Society
- Macon Bibb County
- Macon Bibb County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Macon Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council
- Macon Bibb County Housing Association
- Macon Bibb County Urban Development Authority
- Macon Regional Crime Stoppers
- Marketing Macon
- Middle Georgia Soccer Association
- Miracle League of Macon
- NewTown Macon
- Ocmulgee Greenway Advisory Council
- Ocmulgee Heritage Trail of Middle Georgia
- Ocmulgee National Monument Association
- Ocmulgee National Park and Preserve Initiative
- Ocmulgee River Initiative
- Path Foundation
- Playground at Waterworks Park
- REACT International
- Southern Off Road Bicycle Association
- Tax Equity Study Fund
- Trust for Public Land
- United Way of Central Georgia